Small Ships Photography Program
John offers a Creative Photography Techniques program, tailored to expedition cruise travellers. These 45 minute presentations have proven extremely popular onboard expedition vessels on Arctic and Antarctic routes including Hurtigruten, One Ocean Expeditions and CMV Cruises. With his clear delivery style, presentations are both informative and engaging, with plenty opportunity for audience discussion on photography techniques.
PRESENTATIONS & Workshops
(1) Photography Techniques 1 – Exposure, Depth of Field & Camera Settings.
Exposure, Depth of field, Shutter speed & Aperture, Light & Colour Temperature, ISO settings, focusing modes, Focal lengths, Image Quality settings
(2) Photography Techniques 2 – Classic Landscape Shots & Creative Compositional Techniques
Classic Landscape technique, Rule of Thirds, Shapes, Leading Lines, Scene Framing, Seascapes & Reflections, Camera Tilt
(3) Photography Techniques 3 – Photographing Darkness, Silhouettes & Patterns.
Influencing Contrast, The Zone System, When to underexpose, Aurora Photography, Sunsets & Darkness, Silhouettes, Exploring Textures & Patterns.
(4) Photography Techniques 4 – Taking Better Portrait Shots.
Bounce Flash, Window-lit portraits, Location portraiture, Posing & directing, Positioning subjects in a scene
(5) Photography Techniques 5 - Telling a Story: How to document an experience and broaden your portfolio
How to think about and plan to tell a story, plus clever techniques to add interest and new perspectives to your photographic material.
Sessions are typically 45-50 mins, and can be followed by hands-on camera troubleshooting
Image critique seminars and bird photography workshops are also available.
Two End of Voyage slideshows from Antarctica and Greenland:
Benefits of incorporating a guest Photography Lecturer onboard:
• An engaging program of photography lectures/workshops (technical & creative)
• Professional imagery for marketing purposes
• Guided photography walks ashore
• Photography competition enhancing clients’ enjoyment
• Camera clinic
• On-deck Bird Photography workshops
Publication samples from marketing brochures: